The Bonin (Ogasawara) Islands Language and Culture Site
Contact email firstname.lastname@example.org. Modified December 19th, 2001
- I have just published an article in the journal English World-Wide entitled "Evidence of an English contact language in the 19th century Bonin (Ogasawara) Islands". You can see an abstract here.
- Another new article of mine, entitled "Examining the Bonin (Ogasawara) Islands within the Contexts of Pacific Language Contact"is included in the book LEO PASIFIKA: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Oceanic Linguistics. Ordering information can be obtained from Steven Roger Fischer.
- Symposium: Language, History and Society of the Ogasawara (Bonin) Islands, with our nifty Color Poster!
- The Ogasawara Culture Mailing List (listserve) "oga-bunka"
- The Linguistic Culture of the Ogasawara Islands (Special Issue of Reports of the Japanese Language Research Center Volume 6, Osaka Shoin Women's College).
- "A History of Language Contact in the Ogasawara Islands" (Japanese)
- A Bibliography of Humanities-Related Works on the Ogasawara (Bonin) Islands
is online with English and Japanese sources included.
- The radio documentary "Bonin Islands, Ogasawara Shima Monogatari", directed by Tetsuya Sogabe, with Daniel Long interviewing some of the "Westerner" Islanders was broadcast on March 28 (Su), 1999, 20:00-21:00 on Nippon Hoso AM 1242 KHz.
Ogasawara Documents (under construction)
- Report of an Examination of the Bonin Group of Island (Abbot,1854)
- "Hypa, the Centenarian Nurse" (King,1898)
- The History of the Bonin Islands (Cholmondeley,1915)
Principal dates, Contents, Introduction, Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4, Chapter 5, Chapter 6, Chapter 7, Chapter 8, Chapter 9, Chapter 10, Chapter 11, Supplement
- The Bonin Islands (Robertson,1876)
- "History & Historical Remains in the Ogasawara Islands" (unpublished English excerpts from Inamura, 1926)
- "The Recovery of Islands of Ogasawara" (unpublished English excerpts from Tabohashi, 1922)
- "Diplomatic Documents of the Last Days of Tokugawa Goverment: The tour of Inspection of Ogasawara Islands" (unpublished English excerpts from Tanabe 1898)
- "John Barleycorn" (Jack London)
Websites about Bonin Islands Culture
- How Much Did Japan Know?
- Where Were They?
- John LaPlant's Chichi Jima Bonin Islands Website
- Chichi Jima - Bonin Island Page
- Information on Ogasawara Diving and Islands the largest selection of links for Websites in English
- Bonin Links the most complete selection of links for Websites in Japanese
- Urame lyrics
- Uwadoro lyrics
- Parao 5 chome
- Oyado no tame ni
The counter is provided by
The number of visits this site has received since its establishment on
April 7, 1999 currently stands at